When the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic exploded in the state of New York, it drastically changed how the Speech & Debate Team would move forward with our spring competitions. We had to quickly pivot and prepare for virtual competitions, rather than our usual in-person format — and we are proud to announce our talented Flyers were able to rethink possible and finish out the year on a high note!
- This year's Tournament of Champions took place on Sunday, April 18, 2020, through Monday, April 20, 2020. Paul Caruso '20 was named a quarterfinalist in the Dramatic Performance category. This tournament, hosted by the University of Kentucky, brings together some of the top students from around the country.
- This year's National Speech and Debate Association Tournament took place on Monday, June 15, 2020, through Saturday, June 20, 2020. Over 5,000 students competed in various categories.
- Michael Bellia '21 competed in the Lincoln Douglas Debate category. The field began with over 270 debaters. He broke to the elimination rounds and placed in the top 40 debaters.
- Charles Weiler '20 and Peter Vouthas '20 competed as a part of a Worlds Debate Team from the Long Island/New York City area. The team reached elimination rounds. They also competed in the Extemporaneous Debate category. Vouthas took 7th place out of 440 debaters.
- Finally, on Sunday, June 21, 2020, Michael Bellia '21, James Cullen '22, Jack Viscuso, '21, Steven Jones '21, and Allen Underwood '21 were each named All-State. Bellia was ranked number one the State; Cullen number three; Viscuso number 12, Jones number 13, and Underwood number 18. In addition, Bellia was also named All-American and ranked number 19 overall in the country.
We are so proud of what our young men have accomplished this year, especially during such difficult times.